[Tlhingan-hol] Piraha

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sun Nov 1 12:22:19 PST 2015

> On 11/1/2015 5:49 AM, qunnoQ HoD wrote:
>> 1. a basic rule in Klingon is one main verb per sentence

{mataHmeH maSachnIS} "we must expand to survive", two verbs in one sentence.

>> 2. in Klingon we can't apply multiple adverbs to a single verb

I'm not sure what is considered an adverb, but I think I'd accept {batlh
nom Soppu'} "He ate quickly with honor"

>> 4. in Klingon we tend to think we can’t use two adverbs for a single
[...]
> We don't have any evidence I can think of that lets us use two
> adjectival verbs on a single noun.

For the record, we have the somehow poetic and controversial phrase in
the warriors anthem {yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'}

> I prefer to make BOTH qualities into relative clauses, for symmetry.
> E.g., {HoSbogh tlhIngan 'ej 'IHbogh} "strong and beautiful Klingon."

I prefer this too.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh