[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon dialogue in STID (was: Klingon Word of the Day: SaHHa'ghach)

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sun Jan 11 11:14:14 PST 2015

The way you tell it is correct, but there are some details to be added. From memory:

On set, all the Klingon-speaking actors received coaching from Britton Watkins.
When recording the new lines, Marc worked with Saldana and a number of background voice actors, but due to a scheduling conflict he wasn't able to work with the Klingon commander (Sean Blakemore), who I believe just had Okrand's recorded voice to work with.

Here is one of the earlier cuts:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K0cFLb-JmaQ

Note that there is already some rather significant mismatch between the spoken dialogue and the subtitles.

Also, pay special attention to the scene at around 0:38, especially at the end when he leans in from the right of the screen to the center.

He says something like «tlhInganna' naQ pu''a' SoH.» (which I'm sure is a great compliment)

Now, compare the final cut, at around 0:27:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K0cFLb-JmaQ

At the beginning, you can see him lean out from the center of the screen and to the right. I believe this is that scene, played backwards.

As a bonus, here's another deleted scene with Klingon dialogue for us to figure out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XSsd78vllng

ghItlhta' lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:

But here at KLI, we get these stories that nobody else gets. Likely, this little story of a scene shot in reverse won’t make it into the “Special Features” of the DVD for the movie. And if it did and one of us bought it, the rest of us would hear the story.

Indeed! We have our own written history of Star Trek shared between us, seen through the eyes of a guy who's been working behind the scenes for over 30 years now, together with the investigative potential of a small but intrepid army of nitpic... of connoisseurs!