[Tlhingan-hol] Royal We Beginners' Conversation

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Dec 31 07:36:31 PST 2015

On 12/31/2015 10:00 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> 'ach tera'ngan *rooster* rurqu'bejmo', wIlo'.
> however, because it definitely resembles a lot the terran rooster, we used it.
>
> 'ej wISopbej je !
> and we would undoubtebly eat it too !

Here's a point of grammar that I only recently learned to use correctly.
Even after all this time (I started learning Klingon in the early '90s)
there are still things to learn.

{je} is a noun conjunction, even when it's used after a verb. You can't
use it unless you're saying something like "X did such-and-such and Y
did such-and-such too." The verb has to be the same or similar so the
meaning of {je} is to say that X and Y did the same thing.

Your sentences, simplified, are

    *wIlo' 'ej wISop je
    we use it and we eat it too

But it can't be used like that. {je} would be interpreted to mean {maH
maH je}, and the verbs are not similar, so what are we and we doing?
It's a bit of a mess. Prior to a couple of weeks ago, I would have said
this sentence was fine, but it's not.

Here's an example using {je} after a verb correctly:

   vISop 'ej DaSop je
   I eat it and you eat it too
   I eat it and so do you

The {je} conjoins the elided {jIH} and {SoH} of the sentences.

    vISop jIH 'ej DaSop je SoH
    equals
    wISop jIH SoH je

{je} can also be used to conjoin objects:

    HIq vItlhutlh 'ej bIQ vItlhutlh je
    I drink alcohol and I drink water too
    I drink alcohol and also water
    equals
    HIq bIQ je vItlhutlh

Much of the time you wouldn't use {je} as I've used it above. {vISop 'ej
DaSop} may be all you need. {je} is good for a "me too!" kind of expression.

    jatlh qama': jIghung.
    The prisoner says, "I am hungry."

    jatlh 'avwI': jIghung je.
    The guard says, "I am also hungry." (PK)

    Dargh wIb vItlhutlh.
    I'll drink sour tea.

    Dargh wIb tlhutlh je jupwI'.
    My friend will drink sour tea as well.