[Tlhingan-hol] naDev DoyIchlan Hol jatlh 'Iv?

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 09:57:53 PST 2015

{-ghach} can be added to any verb with a suffix. While it is not specifically illegal to use {-ghach} on a bare verb, it is considered “highly marked”, likely similar to the English sentence “You ain’t got no good English.” People could understand you, but they’d probably stare, and they wouldn’t respect your use of the language very much.

Basically, {-ghach} nominalizes the whole meaning of the verb and all intervening suffixes. {jIvtaHghach} makes a noun of continual ignorance (being continually ignorant). {Quchchu’taHghach} makes a noun out of continuous, perfect happiness (bliss). {lo’laHghach} nominalizes the ability to use something (value). {naDHa’ghach} nominalizes the antithesis or undoing of commendation. {naDqa’ghach} nominalizes the restoration of commendation or the repetition of commendation.

You just don’t use it without another suffix. You can, but you’d better have a remarkably good reason, and so far, we have not been given any such good reason from Maltz or Okrand. The term “highly marked” is Okrand’s.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv