[Tlhingan-hol] Use Klingon!

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Dec 12 08:35:02 PST 2015

On 12/12/2015 11:09 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
 > reH 'ej meqvam je,mulughmoH nuvpu' vIneH.
 > always and for this reason too,I want people to correct me.

lu'!

{reH 'ej meqvam je} doesn't work for me. {meqvam} isn't a sentence you
can conjoin with another, and {reH} alone is an exclamation, not a
modifier of a sentence. There is no adverbial conjunction.

I'd say it like this:

    reH meqvammo' mulughmoH nuvpu' vIneH
    I want people to always correct me because of this reason.

A little advanced side-note: I think we've only got one example of an
adverbial for "want" in a sentence-as-object construction:

    reH DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH
    I've always wanted to fight a Federation ship (ST5)

Notice that unlike most other sentences-as-object, the adverbial for the
wanting goes before the first sentence. I've assumed above that
syntactic nouns do so as well.

> ghItlh lojmIt tI'wI'nuv :
>
>> There's a subtle, but important difference between "I can't
>> believe" and "I don't believe". Consider the suffix {-laH}.
>
> bIlugh. mu'tlheghvam vIQubqa' 'ej {-laH} lo' qaq 'e' vItlhoj.
> you are correct. I thought again this sentence,and I realized
> it,that the use of {-laH} is preferable.

    qaq {-laH} lo' 'e' vItlhoj
    I realized that {-laH} use is preferable

You could drop the {lo'} and it would still be good.

Watch the order of verbs of quality.

>> *jI'egh* is not a Klingon word. It is a verb prefix tagged on to
>> a verb suffix, but there's no verb.
>
> yaS wa'DIchwI' mojmoHnISqu'lu' DaH 'e' vISovbej !
> now I definitely know it,that someone very much needs to demote my
> first officer !

I don't see "demote" anywhere in there. {numHa'} means "demote." Also,
watch your suffix-order.

    yaS wa'DIchwI' numHa'nISmoHlu' DaH 'e' vISovbej
    I definitely know now that my first officer needs to be demoted

> tughojmoHmo' Hoch,jIDubtaH.

vItbej.

http://www.trimboli.name/