[Tlhingan-hol] Use Klingon!

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 08:27:29 PST 2015

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv

> jIQochbe' ! ..'ej jIQochbe'mo' je,naDev jIH jIbel !
> I agree ! and because I agree too,I am happy I am here !
>
> lojmIt tI'wI'nuv qaghel ; ponglIj bop.
> lojmIt tI'wI'nuv I want to ask you. It concerns your name.
>
> wa' mu' 'oH {tI'wI'nuv}'e' 'e' vIlegh
> I see that {tI'wI'nuv} is one word

Proper names don’t need to follow any grammatical rules, except perhaps to fit the allowable syllables of the language. In earlier days, people didn’t always even make their Klingon names pronounceable in Klingon. We’re guessing they were named while there was some OTHER emperor in charge, who spoke a different dialect.

lutvammo’ pongwIj vIwuvta’:

http://lintel.typepad.com/plentyofnothing/2011/08/the-annotated-door-repair-guy-episode-1.html

> 'a DIp 'oH {nuv}'e'.
> however {nuv} is a noun.
>
> DIp 'oH {tI'wI}'e' je.
> {tI'wI'} is a noun too.
>
> cha' DIp DIrarmoH'a' ?
> are we able to connect two nouns ?

rut DIpmey rarlaH vay’, ‘ach motlh rarbe’lu’.

TKD 3.2.1

Klingon isn’t German. It’s not wise to jam every cluster of nouns together that you could imagine. For the most part, we simply recognize that some of the words from Maltz are compound nouns. We don’t usually create our own compound nouns because we have no way of confirming that they are valid.

Consider the English “earthworm”, and the not so pretty *earthbird*. How would someone who doesn’t speak English know that one is valid and the other isn’t?

And if you don’t like *earthbird* because worms burrow in the earth, but birds fly in the sky, what about *earthmole*?

Okrand merely explains to us that some nouns get combined to form new compound nouns. He doesn’t explain any rules about how or when it is done. I suspect that it is only done when the pair of nouns is used together so often that the combination of them is considered to be a new noun. Meanwhile, it’s never wrong to NOT combine nouns into compound nouns when one is tempted to do so with a combination that we have not been given.

And most of this is academic because, once again, our written Klingon is merely a phonetic representation of what is spoken, and spoken words rarely have spaces between them. We write spaces simply to make what we write more easily legible.