[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: moHaq mojaq DuHmey

Bellerophon, modeler bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 11:27:48 PST 2015

SuStel wrote:
> According to TKD 6.2.5 you can't put a type 7 suffix on the second verb
of a sentence-as-object construction. Okrand has violated this rule a
couple of times.

I had never noticed this sentence in TKD. You're also helpfully, if
indirectly, pointing out my bad habit of overusing sentence-as-object. It
mimics my English phrasing and I have to stop it.

Instead of *QeD bopboghghItlhmey vIqon qen 'e' vInID, I could have written
<QeD bopbogh ghItlhmey vIqon qen 'e' vInID> or more simply <qen QeD bopbogh
ghItlhmey vIqonlI'> if I'm not satisfied that I finished them.

The second sentence, *mu'mey vIchenmoHmeH <-ghach> vIlo'nIS SIbI' 'e'
vI'tu'pu', could simply be mu'mey vIchenmoHmeH, SIbI' <-ghach> vIlo'nISbej.
<-bej> isn't necessary but it clarifies that it's very certain to me,
having observed it for myself. It also makes {'e' vItu'} unnecessary.

SuStel also wrote:
> A mistake that most people make when starting out is thinking they're
conjunctions. They're pronouns, and they're always the object of the second
sentence.

Well put. A couple years ago, if someone had asked me what {'e'} was, I'd
have answered pronoun, like it says in TKD. Nevertheless, I was treating it
as a conjunction.

~'eD
--
My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/