[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: moHaq mojaq DuHmey

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Dec 9 10:36:11 PST 2015

On 12/9/2015 1:14 PM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> {QeD bopbogh ghItlhmey'e' vIqon qen 'e' vInIDtaH.}
> {mu'mey vIchenmoHmeH <-ghach> vIlo'nIS SIbI' 'e' vItu'pu'.}
>
> mich 5.4 mich 6.7 je vIlaD,'ach {qen} {SIbI'} je lo'lIj vIyajbe' ;
> qatlh pa' Dalan ?

Before I answer your question, let me point out that both of those
sentences contain the same error: the {-taH} and the {-pu'} are not
allowed in those positions. According to TKD 6.2.5 you can't put a type
7 suffix on the second verb of a sentence-as-object construction. Okrand
has violated this rule a couple of times.

Now for your question. In a sentence as object construction, you have
the following form:

    S1 S2

where S1 and S2 are complete sentences. S1 can be any kind of sentence
you want. S2 has some restrictions; it must have at least these elements:

    PRO V2

where PRO is either {'e'} or {net} and V2 is a verb with a prefix
indicating a third-person singular object.

Here's an example:

    yaS qIppu' 'e' vIlegh
    [   S1   ] [   S2   ]
               PRO < v2 >

S2 can still take other elements: adverbials, subjects, time stamps,
whatever. Remembering that PRO is the object of the verb in S2, if you
want to put an adverbial into S2, it has to go before the object, just
like in any other sentence:

    ADV PRO V2

Here's an example:

    yaS qIppu' qen 'e' vIlegh
    [   S1   ] [     S2     ]
               ADV PRO < V2 >

We finally got evidence that this works in paq'batlh with at least one
sentence:

    SuvwI' DameH puqloDwI' / vIghojHa'moH DaH 'e' vItlhoj
    I see now, I have failed / To raise my son a man.

    vIghojHa'moH DaH 'e' vItlhoj
    I mis-teach him; now I realize that

A mistake that most people make when starting out is thinking they're
conjunctions. They're pronouns, and they're always the object of the
second sentence.

http://trimboli.name