[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: moHaq mojaq DuHmey

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 06:56:06 PST 2015

‘arHa: While you’ve done well, explaining basic principles, you seem to have missed one point:

There are three kinds of words in Klingon: Nouns, Verbs, and chuvmey. Yes, you can talk about the different kinds of chuvmey, but the point worth paying attention to is that nouns take noun suffixes, verbs take verb prefixes and suffixes, and chuvmey… well, most chuvmey stand alone, and those that don’t are exceptional and need to be treated as exceptional. Pronouns can never be treated as if they actually were nouns or verbs. They can hold the role of a noun or a verb and use SOME suffixes, but not most of them.

There are no Klingon words that can sometimes be used as nouns and sometimes be used as verbs. There are merely some Klingon nouns that are pronounced exactly like other Klingon words that happen to be verbs, and since our spelling is phonetic, we spell the noun and the verb the same. But they are not the same word. Note that in TKD, all homophones of different word type are separate entries. It’s not like in the Oxford English Dictionary where one word may have multiple entries, some of which are noun and others of which are verb. That’s not how it works in Klingon.

Think of it the way that an English dictionary would list two different words for “wind” because of the different pronunciations, despite being spelled the same way. Well, in Klingon, even though some words are spelled and pronounced identically, they are not listed as one word because of the difference in part of speech.

qun HoD: Verb prefixes are useless unless they are attached to a verb. You don’t attach them to pronouns or affixes, or anything except verbs. They are exclusively used on verbs.

Verb suffixes are primarily used on verbs. SOME of them can also be used on pronouns, but most of them can’t. Consider what the meaning would be. Similarly, when “be X” verbs are used adjectivally, SOME verb suffixes can be used, but most can’t. Okrand gives us the example {yIHmey lI’be’}, so we know that {-be’} can be used on a verb used adjectivally. But he declared {lo’laH} as a separate verb from {lo’ + -laH}, so we know that you can’t use {-laH} on verbs used adjectivally.

The purpose of the language is to express meaning, not just to use the affixes like Tonka Toys or Lego blocks to see how ridiculously you can extend things until they break.

I really think that as a new person to the language, your focus should be more on having something you wish to express and learn the tools you need to express that meaning well. It should not be on how you can pile together affixes on anything you feel like sticking them to and then trying to figure out what it would mean, if it were meaningful (and quite often, it isn’t).

SOME noun suffixes can be placed on pronouns, when they are being used grammatically as nouns. Buy a clue. A singular pronoun can’t take a plural noun suffix, for example. Don’t bother putting one on a plural pronoun, either. You’ll only irritate the Klingon you are speaking to, and that’s not generally considered wise.

So, instead of trying to come up with a reason to put affixes on pronouns, why not spend a little time learning how to say specific things in Klingon? Start with the thing you want to say and THEN explore the tools you want to use to say them. Start out simple and then build to more complex ideas. The Klingon you learn this way will stick better and become more applicable to your future use of the language.

It’s closer to the way that toddlers learn, and they learn faster than you will if you start out plastering affixes on everything and then trying to figure out what it would mean.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv