[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: Due to the refusal, the topic is forgotten

fata irae fatairae at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:08:16 PST 2015

Rohan
| I think I see whats going on - using the topic as kind of a vocative
statement...
Yes, vocative is exactly what I was going for.  Always thought it was a
little funny in Latin and Sanskrit when translated as "Oh X!", but helps
with directed addressing.  I'll have to remember {'o}.

Rohan
| In imperatives of adjectival verbs like {HoS} "be strong" ... its
unidiomatic to say ... that Klingons normally add {-'eghmoH} "cause onself
to" ...
Interestingly, this brings up another point that I was wrestling with
earlier today, with what Ive been calling state verbs in my head, and how
they seem to act differently then the others.  But I'll save that for
another topic.
  In particular, I guess I was trying to do the opposite of -moH with
adjectival verbs, and make a regular verb a state.
  tujmoH ~ to heat, make be hot
  lIjlu' ~ be forgotten, -> yIlIjlu' ~ you be forgotten, -> yIlIjbe'lu' ~
you be not forgotten!, you not be in the state of being forgotten!

De'vID
| What does this even mean? How can you give a command to someone not to be
forgotten by someone else?
Ahh, but thats the point (or so it went in my head).  The command is to not
be in the state of being forgotten (by nebulous others), somewhat evocative
of calling upon muses (thus as Rohan pointed out, the vocative would work
perfect).
| {DalIjbe'lu'meH yIvang!} "act, ...
Yes, a direct command of what to do would be simpler, and avoid the muddy
indirection's, though not give the exact tone I was going for.  Thank you
for pointing that out.  I'll have to figure out a way of either
incorporating the yearning on the part of the "someones", or rethink the
psychology behind the statement.

perhaps even:
  yIlIjbe'eghmoHlu' ~ Cause yourself to not be forgotten! ?
(or would a double reversal lead us back to the beginning, like a mad rats
maze?)

So back to the original point, using -lu' as a mirror of -moH (somewhat).
Is there another way to do that, for verbs that don't have a mirroring
state word?

Thanks all for the comments.