[Tlhingan-hol] Religious terminology

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Dec 2 10:58:12 PST 2015

On 12/2/2015 1:32 PM, qunnoQ HoD wrote:
> And this gives me the opportunity to discuss something you (and almost
> every other senior member here), do not realize. The way you write is
> way too complex for a beginner to understand. You don't realize
> this,because you can write fluently and this all seems easy to you. It
> is understandable ; But no beginner could follow up with your level.
> So,you cannot expect someone to be able to keep up with you,conversing
> freely so that then,and only then he will be "deemed worthy" to start
> translating anything.

It's not about being worthy to do something. The best way to learn is to
work in the following order:

1. Be able to read what others post. If you can't even read what I
    wrote last time, how can you possibly expect to WRITE anything in
    Klingon?

2. Be able to express your own thoughts in Klingon. Don't translate;
    just use the language yourself. If you can't say what YOU think, how
    can you say what OTHERS think?

3. Translate. Translation is the hardest thing you can do with a
    language you're learning. It's one thing to challenge yourself, but
    if you can't do the above two steps first then it's not a matter of
    them being too easy, is it?

I learned Klingon by reading what others wrote. This was in the '90s and
I was on a college campus; I printed messages and painstakingly
translated everything word for word. When I felt I was able, I posted
some simple sentences about things I wanted to say.

What I just posted previously was not Dick-and-Jane stuff, but neither
was it particularly advanced. I know exactly what level I wrote at. I'm
not expecting beginners to debate me in Klingon. Just READ it!

If you REALLY want to translate, by all means go ahead. Ignore anyone
who says you're doing something wrong. But be aware that what you're
doing is jumping into the deep end of the pool without first learning
how to swim.

http://trimboli.name