[Tlhingan-hol] Aspect, etc

chransberry@gmail.com chransberry at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 16:35:31 PST 2015

Thank you!

-QISta'

----- Reply message -----
From: "SuStel" <sustel at trimboli.name>
Date: Tue, Dec 1, 2015 17:10
Subject: [Tlhingan-hol] Aspect, etc
To: <tlhingan-hol at kli.org>

On 12/1/2015 7:00 PM, chransberry at gmail.com wrote:
> I noticed that there are suffixes to indicate a completed action, an
> ongoing (continuous) action, and a progressive action. Am I correct in
> my observation that there is no suffix for a going-to-happen action?

Correct; there is no such suffix.

> Also, in regards to "time-stamps", I see that one can say "a year ago"
> and such, but how would one express that something happened at some
> unspecified time in the past (or in the future, for that matter)?

I believe paq'batlh has {'op ben} for "some years ago." You can also say
{ben law'} "many years ago" or {leS puS} "a few days from now" or {tup
pIq} "a few minutes from now" or even {qen} "recently."

Don't forget that the completion suffixes aren't used for past tense. I
might say {wa' Hu' yaS qIppu' puq} "yesterday the child hit the officer"
because the hitting was completed as soon as it was performed, but I
would not use it for {wa'Hu' jIghung} "yesterday I was hungry" because
my hunger is not a completed action.

http://www.trimboli.name/