[Tlhingan-hol] Verbs and nouns ; How were they chosen ?

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Tue Dec 1 10:34:53 PST 2015

Am 01.12.2015 um 19:11 schrieb qunnoQ HoD:
> Has Okrand commented,on how he chose which words were meant to exist
> solely as verbs,while others to exist as verbs and nouns too ?

I don't know any direct sources, but as far as I know, he really just
did this randomly.

You must also note that verbs being nouns and verbs happen very often in
english while it does not so in other languages.

for instance "drink" verb/noun
German: trinken/Getränk
French: boire/boisson

> I think that the ratio verbs/nouns influences a lot the way we express
> things in Klingon ;

It is a common advice (again I don't know the source) that Klingon is
very much "action"-based, i.e. using more verbs than nouns. For
instance, don't say "He has great knowledge" but say "He knows a lot".
(okay, that's a bad example but you got the point)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh