[Tlhingan-hol] Religious terminology

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Tue Dec 1 09:42:21 PST 2015

Am 01.12.2015 um 18:11 schrieb qunnoQ HoD:
> [...] I believe that it is impossible for any Klingonist to
> translate the bible adequately in Klingon. Unless he just wants to
> narrate in his own words the story of new testament...
[...]

I'm sure that any true Klingonist will agree with you. Indeed, we can
almost express anything if you can play with words, but we all know that
klingon is far from complete.

It is a good thing for beginners to be aware of that, so you don't try
to translate complicated phrases. As SuStel just wrote, there simply is
no word for "saint", so there is actually no need to describe it. It's
like the most used example that there is no english word for pizza, so
we don't try to use other words for it.

Most of the known klingon translations are only translations of the
meaning, and very seldom a literal translation.

(and as an offtopic comment: most translations of religious texts also
have those problems not being accurate due to rough translations and
their mistakes.)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh