[Tlhingan-hol] beyn Dartlh

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 03:34:39 PST 2015

qunnoQ HoD:
> Where does he write that {-Daq}
> is *exclusively* to be used for physical locations ?

In a message to the startrek.klingon newsgroup dated Mar. 23, 1998,
Marc Okrand wrote:
<<In English, the preposition "in" is sometimes locative (that is, referring
to location) in meaning (e.g., "in the house," "on the table") but
sometimes not (as in the examples cited above, "trust in God," "believe in
magic").  In fact, in English, "in" frequently doesn't have a literally
locative sense.  We use it all over the place:  "in debt," "work in
television," "in preparing this report," "speaking in Klingon," and so on.
Likewise, in addition to the locative uses of the English preposition
"from" ("run from the burning house," "traveled from Paris"), there are
non-locative uses ("know right from wrong," "stop me from eating").  The
story's the same for other English prepositions (for example, locative "on
the table," non-locative "go on with your story"; locative "under the
table," non-locative "under discussion").

In Klingon, however, the noun suffixes {-Daq} (the general locative) and
{-vo'} "from" express only notions related to space ("to a place," "in a
place," "from a place," and so on).  They are thus not the same as English
prepositions, which have a wider range of usage.>>