[Tlhingan-hol] The Legend of Gorath part 4, with credits

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Tue Mar 25 17:03:38 PDT 2014

From: Brad Wilson [mailto:bmacliam at aol.com]
Sent: March 25, 2014 8:30
To: tlhingan-hol at kli.org
Subject: Re: [Tlhingan-hol] The Legend of Gorath part 4, with credits

jIghItlh > vavnI': qaStaHvIS ramvetlh bochlI' pIraqSIS maSwov.
ghItlh Qov > You don?t need qaStaHvIS with a timestamp. ramvetlh, bochtaHvIS
pIraqSIS maSwov ... translates the sentence
fragment more accurately.

jIQochbe'.

ghItlh Qov > I don?t see why you?d choose ?lI? for the continuous aspect
because the moonlight isn?t shining to an achievable end.

I didn't understand the fine difference between -taH and -lI'.

Qov> Do you now? If something is progressing towards a definite end point,
it may be described with -lI'. If it is progressing without mention of such
an endpoint, then -taH. The same distinction exists between -pu' and -ta':
to show a deliberately undertaken action you may use -ta'.

jIghItlh > Tell the story of your targh truthfully. / targh Dawam
vIja'taHvIS yIvIt.
ghItlh Qov > but there?s a first person verb in the translation and none in
the English, so I don?t follow.

ghuy'. moHaq vIqawHa'qa'. The boy was recounting his first targ hunt.

Better perhaps: targh Dawam Daja'taHvIS yIvIt.

Qov> We haven't seen this use of ja' in canon. I'd be more comfortable if
you made it <targh chon DaDeltaHvIS> or something like that. ja' is glossed
as tell, report, not tell about.

jIghItlh > I am proud of you, son of my son. / qaHem puqloDwI' puqloD.
ghItlh Qov > Hem isn?t glossed as ?proud of?. I?d prefer: SoHmo? jIHem.

I suppose at the heart of it is whether we are proud of a person or of that
person's accomplishment?

ta'lIj vIHem. / ta'meylIj vIHem. / bIpo'mo' vIHem. / bIghojchu'pu' vIHem.

Qov> The choHemmoH suggestion someone gave you is superior to SoHmo'. Hem is
be proud, not be proud of, so only your variant with -mo' is correct.

gheyIl