[Tlhingan-hol] Proof that Klingon isn't just a few stock phrases.

BT Yahoo! a.appleyard at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 2 02:34:05 PDT 2014

There is discussion about how useful Klingon language is to discuss general matters.

I was a member of tlhingon-hol email group for some years around 1995. I have recently re-joined it. I apologize if some of these things described hereinunder are very out of date.

Which books list canon Klingon vocabulary (including their ISBN numbers)?

It would be useful if all canon Klingon vocabulary could be gathered into one new dictionary.

As regards discussing general matters, in my old active period I noticed that canon Klingon vocabulary is largely a spacemen's language, resulting in such as:-
* No word for ground vehicles, so members had to use {Duj} = "ship" to mean "car".
* No word for "sun", so members had to use "star" instead.
* The word {jabbI'ID}, used once only in Star Trek, to mean "data transmission" is used abundantly to mean "email message".
* The story book 'Kahless' had to invent Klingon words for various non-space matters (musical instruments, "minn'hor" for an ox-like wild and domestic Qo'noSian animal used to pull the cart and the plough in pre-industrial times.)