[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tul

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 6 22:51:03 PST 2014

ghItlhpu' 'eD, jatlh:
> All examples of {tul} seem to have a sentence-as-object construction with
> {'e'} as in "vIq pISam 'e' vItul" ("I hope we find battle"). An alternative
> construction might be a clause with {-meH} as in "vIq pISammeH jItul"
> ("I hope for our finding battle").

Sorry to be a pain, but {pI-} is for when the object is second person singular - that is, singular "you". {vIq pISam} is "we find you battle". When the object is *third* person singular, the appropriate prefix is {wI-}: {vIq wISam} "we find battle".

Also, the version with the {-meH} clause doesn't quite have the same meaning. It implies that the hoping will somehow be the cause of the event; that through hoping, we will be able to find battle. That's not really what you're after here.

QeS