[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghay

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Apr 18 08:28:10 PDT 2014

On 4/18/2014 11:19 AM, Brent Kesler wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu
> <mailto:sboozer at uchicago.edu>> wrote:
>

>        jorwI'mey ghaymo' qarDaSnganpu', Hegh SuvwI'pu'lI' law'
>         'ej rIQ SuvwI'pu'lI' law'
>        Suffer major losses after Cardassian bombing campaign. MKE
>
>     BTW notice the repetition of the subject phrase {SuvwI'pu' law'}
>     "many warriors" in the main clause(s).
>

> I've been working on a sort of essay, and I've not been been repeating
> subject phrases like that. So I'm hoping for some discussion. What do
> people think of:
>
> 1. (?) Hegh SuvwI'pu'lI' law' 'ej riQ.
> -- vs. --
> 2. Hegh SuvwI'pu'lI' law' 'ej rIQ SuvwI'pu'lI' law'.
>
> Is Sentence 1 unclear? Just bad Klingon? Or is Sentence 2 just an extra
> precise version of Sentence 2?

I believe Klingon is less worried about the sound of repetition than is
English. Most things that you may optionally leave out are not required
to be left out. for instance, it's perfectly valid to say {'oH legh
ghaH} even if you're perfectly aware of what {'oH} and {ghaH} refer to.
This does not provide emphasis (unless you vocally stress the pronoun)
unlike what you may see on this list; for that use {-'e'}. Things are
often left off because it's convenient to do so, not because it's
stilted if you don't.

http://www.trimboli.name/