[Tlhingan-hol] Use of {net}

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Oct 16 01:11:35 PDT 2013

ja' vay':
> I believe the only example we have of a question being used as an object
> is {nuq Datlhutlh DaneH?}, and here it's important to note that the
> whole two-sentence construction is also a question. "I know you want to
> drink, but what?"

Yes, correctly. I don't know the correct linguistic definition of that,
but it seems that the entire thing is a question. You could replace
{DaneH} with {-qang} to show what I (and you) mean:

nuq Datlhutlhqang - what are you willing to drink?

It's not a "real" Question-As-Object, it does not mean "you want that
what_do_you_drink".

It fits more to the rule that a question word fits the gap of the answer:

{'Iv Dalegh DaneH?}
{Qov vIlegh vIneH.}

Tuesday.

--