[Tlhingan-hol] Use of {net}

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Tue Oct 15 11:46:49 PDT 2013

What he said. I totally missed the qatlh, having already hung up on the
speaker evading making a statement directly. Klingon question words aren't
relative pronouns and if there were KSL classes the students would probably
have to do rote little exercises where they converted sentences like:

nuq Sop ra'wI'? -> Doch'e' Sopbogh ra'wI' vIngu'laHbe'.

qatlh Sop ra'wI'?--> ra'wI' SopmeH meq vIngu'laHbe'.

ghorgh Sop ra'wI'? -> ra'wI' SopmeH poH vIngu'laHbe'.

nuqDaq Sop ra'wI'? --> ra'wI' SopmeH Daq vIngu'laHbe'.

chay' Sop ra'wI'? --> ra'wI' SopmeH mIw vIngu'laHbe'.

'Iv Sop ra'wI'? --> nuv'e' Sopbogh ra'wI' vIngu'laHbe'.

If Klingon survives its current elite little "you have to be smart enough to
understand a language presented in the form of TKD to join our club" phase,
we probably will have such things.

Whew? Where did that come from? Two places I think . One is that last night
I was asked by a journalist about Klingon having "exercises", something that
by the context of the question was part of the qualifications of being a
real language, and two I'm studying a language now that is dying out amongst
the oral culture it has always lived in, and am frustrated seeing what are
effectively watered down academic treatises masquerading as textbooks.  But
someone sent me a draft textbook today with a beautiful balance of grammar
and communication, so I can relax.

As you were.