[Tlhingan-hol] Use of {net}

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Oct 16 11:19:44 PDT 2013

> It's not a "real" Question-As-Object, it does not mean "you want that
> what_do_you_drink".

The way I think about it is: A nuq/'Iv/ghorgh/chay' question is sort of a fill-in-the-blank statement, whether you're using one sentence or two.

Single sentence:
Q = nuq Datlhutlh
You drink WHAT?
Prompt: Replace {nuq} with a noun such that Q is a true statement.

Two sentences:
Q = nuq Datlhutlh DaneH
You want to drink WHAT?
Prompt: Replace {nuq} with a noun such that Q is a true statement.

With {DaneH}, these are fairly straightforward. However, it gets a bit weird with some verbs, such as {Sov}.

nuq tlhutlh 'e' DaSov
You know that she/he drinks WHAT?

This doesn't mean "You know what she/he is drinking", but rather, it seems to communicate the idea of "I know that you know that she/he is drinking, but what is it you know that she/he drinks?"

'Iv chotta' 'e' DaSaH
You care whether she/he has murdered WHOM?

This doesn't mean "You care whom she/he has murdered.", but rather, it's a question as to which murders concern you.

{martaq chotta' 'e' vISaHbe' 'a DuraS chotta' 'e' vISaH.}