[Tlhingan-hol] New words from Star Trek Into Darkness

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Nov 11 12:51:15 PST 2013

It looks very much to me as though Marc not only had to come up with new
dialogue to fit the mouth patterns of previous dialogue, but then did a
further pass where he rewrote the dialogue to match what actually came out
of the actors' mouths, and re-jigged the vocabulary to make that work.

Why else would we have
- chIvo' and jIvvo', with essentially the same meaning and identical lip
movements?
- a new meaning for naH with a meaning almost identical to naS?

I also wonder if lIb bam was the solution to a moment when Mark realized "oh
shit, I used the 3rd person-to-2nd plural prefix instead of the 2nd-plural
to-3rd person" and figured he could get away better with instead saying the
bo- was clipped, so he turned the lI- into a lIb.  (This is what I was
trying to get at when I mentioned it at qepHom, Lieven, but the idea wasn't
fully formed in my mind so I explained it badly).

And then I start wondering in the same direction: chuD is the same lip
movement as juH, which would be an easy mis-remembering for "house" as in
House of Quark. I'm very glad it's chuD not juH, as it would be very
irritating for the noun for home to take on the meaning of tribe, just
because it would be hard to disambiguate in a lot of cases.

I love ghach, because -ghach does just that in the appendix, waiting to
ensnare unsuspecting beginners. I'm going to think of yI' as somewhat like
the French verb vouvoyer, which means "to use the formal 2nd person pronoun
with," thus it would mean "use -neS with".  Uhura isn't doing that of
course, and she's supposed to be a good enough speaker that she would know,
but I'll definitely use it, say like this:

HoD: 'aj, nuchol jagh. wIHIvnISneS.
'aj: HIyI'Qo', bochmoHwI'.

pItlh