[Tlhingan-hol] New words from Star Trek Into Darkness

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Nov 11 13:32:11 PST 2013

Am 11.11.2013 21:51, schrieb Robyn Stewart:
> I also wonder if lIb bam was the solution to a moment when Mark realized "oh
> shit, I used the 3rd person-to-2nd plural prefix instead of the 2nd-plural
> to-3rd person" and figured he could get away better with instead saying the
> bo- was clipped, so he turned the lI- into a lIb.  (This is what I was
> trying to get at when I mentioned it at qepHom, Lieven, but the idea wasn't
> fully formed in my mind so I explained it badly).

qay'be', jupwI'. I mostly understood what you meant. And the other
readers on this list should know that Qov tried to tell me that using
only Klingon!

Actually, during those three days I have spoken more klingon than I ever
did altogether probably. When I first met Qov at the hotel, I spoke to
her in Klingon, she replied in Klingon, and we could hold "the vow"
until the end of the qepHom. I did not hear Qov speak one single word in
english.

It helped me a lot, btw, cause I remembered  words which I already knew,
but never used and therefore had forgotten.

One very special experience was when I explained one of the new words
(which I had used in an email before the qepHom) to Qov, using ONLY Klingon.

> HoD: 'aj, nuchol jagh. wIHIvnISneS.
> 'aj: HIyI'Qo', bochmoHwI'.

Attention: We do not know if it an have an object and if it does, we do
not know what the object might be.

> pItlh

pItlhbe'... oh, no, that's NOT a new word ;- )

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh