[Tlhingan-hol] "Let’s Translate Walter White, Taylor Swift, and More into"... Klingon

nIqolay q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Thu May 30 15:17:57 PDT 2013

While I watch TV shows I frequently find myself jotting down short,
memorable quotes and trying to translate them. A number of these
require some context of the original.

I tried translating "I am the one who knocks" from Breaking Bad a
while ago, though there isn't really a single verb AFAIK that
encapsulates all the meanings of knock; i.e. hitting a door to make a
noise to request entrance. The full quote is "I am not in danger,
Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you
think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!" Something like
lojmItDaq jIloS jIH'e' might have a similar enough meaning. (Also, I
also translated Breaking Bad itself as "batlhHa' vang".)

For "The Wire" quote, I came up with voDleH DaHIvchugh DaqIpnIS though
this loses some of the idiomatic nature of the original. Would
DaqIpHa'be'nIS work for "need to not miss"? I'm not aware of a verb
that means "miss a target".

Some catchphrases from Game of Thrones... "Winter is Coming", the
motto of House Stark, would be memorable, except I don't think we have
a word for winter. A few weeks ago I translated the Oath of the
Night's Watch (it was a slow weekend), though it's considerably longer
than a catchphrase.