[Tlhingan-hol] pride and values

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Fri May 10 16:11:11 PDT 2013

I found a sentence in the paq'batlh that I think might either contain a
syntactical error, a new usage of a verb or simply a structure that I
cannot parse. It's on page 144-5, Canto 16, 2nd verse:

tlhIngan wo' nur ghob je
HoSmoH quvvam
che'DI' molor nur ghob je pujchoHpu'

With it, I restore pride and values
Of the Klingon Empire, for under Molor,
They have grown weak and faint.

Actually {pujchoHpu'} means 'have become weak' and is intransitive, but the
things that got weak precede the verb. Might this be a mistake and the
intended reading shoud have been {che'DI' molor pujchoHpu' nur ghob je}?
Or could we now assume that {puj} is not only an intransitive verb meaning
'be weak, be deluted', but also a transitive verb meaning 'to weaken, to
dilute' (note that we already have {pujmoH} with that meaning).
Or could {nur ghob je} be analysed as some kind of apposition (is that the
right word?), literally "While Molor ruled, the pride and the values --
they have become weak."?
Or does that sentence have a different structure that I'm missing out.

vuDraj vIlaD vIneH.
- André