[Tlhingan-hol] Acts Chapter 2 in Klingon (vagh 'ay' wej)

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 28 21:21:09 PDT 2013

ghItlhpu' Qov, jatlh:
> 21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the
> Lord shall be saved.
> 'ej qaS wanI'vam: Qun pong jachbogh nuv'e' toDlu'.
> And this event occurs: the person who calls out the name of god will be
> rescued.

jang ghunchu'wI', jatlh:
> I'm not sure {toD} is a good translation of σωθήσεται (sōthēsetai).
> However, to substitute something like {qIchHa'} would probably put too
> much emphasis on something that isn't the focus of the passage.

The problem here is that the Greek σώζω has a number of related senses: rescue, save, keep, preserve, keep in mind, adhere to a law... In Klingon these are rendered by a number of different verbs, and you have to pick one. Given the context, I think {toD} here is fine. Might I alternately suggest {choq} "preserve, save"? In particular, I'm thinking of the following passage from TKW alongside its idiomatic English rendition:

wo' choqmeH may' DoHlu'chugh lujbe'lu'
ending a battle to save an empire is no defeat (TKW p.211)

QeS