[Tlhingan-hol] Tlhingan-hol Digest, Topics: tlhIng yoS

BruceLiu bruce.lx at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 00:16:00 PST 2013

> Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:48:23 -0800
> To: bruce.lx at hotmail.com; tlhingan-hol at stodi.digitalkingdom.org
> From: robyn at flyingstart.ca
> Subject: Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Tlhingan-hol Digest, Topics: tlhIng yoS
>
> At 19:59 '?????' 1/20/2013, BruceLiu wrote:
> >First of all, thank the advices of Robyn Stewart.
> >tlho'   (thank)
>
> Not necessary, both because we're so delighted to have new people
> learning that we prefer to thank you, and because thanking just isn't
> very Klingon.
>
> >I'm a novice of klingon, just knew a few words of klingon, but I
> >dare discuss with the experts,
>
> And you did so well that I assumed your knowledge was beyond what
> you're now implying. The complex sentence you submitted was perfect.
> Did you find it somewhere else and just analyze it yourself?
Actually, I usually found a sentence in klingon, and then used the klingon-English or English-klingon disctionaries to interpret it.And below are the links of the two dictionaries, hope that would be useful for beginners.http://www.oocities.org/star_trek_unlimited/Language/English-to-Klingon.htm#Ghttp://www.movies-dictionary.org/Klingon-to-English-Dictionary/

> >so I hope the tyros don't be afraid, just replying the emails and
> >saying something.
>
> Yeah!  What he says. At least half the list traffic used to be
> beginners getting help.
>
> >And I do not understand the V9--type-9 verb, could someone explain
> >it more specifically.
>
> Type-9 verb suffixes are the hardest kind to understand, and they are
> all slightly different. The only thing they have in common is that
> they go on the end of the verb and change the function of the verb in
> the sentence.  If all you know of Klingon are a few words, they
> aren't the best place to start, but you  I'll give you some examples
> and you read the Verbs section in TKD. If this isn't useful now,
> perhaps it will be later.
>
> We'll start with the simple sentence: Duj chIj HoD  - A captain
> navigates a ship
>
> The easiest V9 is -'a', the interrogative. When I put -'a' on the
> verb of that sentence I get Duj chIj'a' HoD? (Does a captain navigate
> a ship?) -'a' changes a declarative sentence into a yes/no question.
>
> Some V9s make the sentence into a subordinate clause:
> Duj chIjDI' HoD - when a captain navigates a ship
> Duj chIjchugh HoD - if a captain navigates a ship
> Duj chIjmo' HoD - because a captain navigates a ship
> Duj chIjbogh HoD - a captain who navigates a ship OR a ship that a
> captain navigates
> Duj chIjmeH HoD - in order for a captain to navigate a ship
>
> -jaj makes the sentence into a wish that something happen
> Duj chIjjaj HoD - Oh that a captain would navigate a ship, here's to
> a captain navigating the ship
>
> If the verb has another suffix on it, then the V9 -ghach can make the
> whole action into a noun:
> chIjqa' - navigates again, resumes navigating
> chIjqa'ghach - resumption of navigation
>
> I might have missed one. I'm just doing this off the top of my head,
> while watching a movie on TV. I gave you these because I always
> answer questions, but as I said before they might not be the best
> place to start.
>
> Try translating these into English:
> DIng Duja ship/vessel spins.
> qoq HIv neghThe soldiers attack a robot.
negh    n. soldiers.HIv       v. attackqoq      n. robot
> vI'uchlaHI can hold/grasp.or I am able to hold/grasp.(I am not sure whether this translation is exact.)vI'~    prefix.  I~laH  suffix. can, be able to
> 'et begh yIHujCharge up the fore-deflectors (This one is also not sure)yI~     prefix. imperative form youHuj     v. charge upbegh   n. deflectors'et       n. fore
>
> And these into Klingon
> I see them.chaH legh jIh
> The starboard (right) engine failed.luj nIH HovtLj jonta'QuQ (If my translation is correct, that may means the starboard engine fails, not failed)
Hov   n. startLj     n. board (only one dictionary has this translation)nIH   n. rightluj     v. fail
I look up in one dictionary, it shows that:jonta'QuQ   n. engine but another dictionary shows that:jonta'    n. engineQuQ      n. engineI prefer to use jonta'QuQ, since it seems to be more complex.
(It seems that it is same as 'et begh yIHuj, since "right" and "'et" both puzzled me.I'm not sure where to put the right.)