[Tlhingan-hol] mIl'oD veDDIr SuvwI': 'ay' 15 - pop 'oH ghob'e'

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 8 21:55:16 PST 2013

jIjatlhpu':
> qo' bel ghaH tIna'tIn'e', mIp'a' wellu'bogh ghaH.

mujang Qov, jatlh:
> Tinatin was a pleasant world, She was a fortune owed.

jIH:
> Hrm. I see how you got "a pleasant world". I'll
> change it to {qo'vaD bel} or {qo' bel'a'} (the
> English is "She is the joy of the world, she is
> treasure and due").

Qov:
> qo' bel'a' brings the meaning to me more
> directly.  I don't understand the point of the
> 'due' or 'owed' aspect.  Are you sure the word
> due in the original has the meaning of something
> that must be paid?

jIH:
> Yep. The Georgian is /vali/ "debt", from the same root as
> /movalea/ "to owe".  Nevertheless I'm a bit in two minds
> about keeping it - it is pretty opaque.

jang Voragh, jatlh:
> I like *{mIp'a'} here, but WRT debts we now have {qav'ap} "amount (of money), rent" from Monopoly:
>   voHDajbo' qav'ap
>   mortgage value MKE
> {qav'ap} seems to be an amount of money owed for something, the most usualy form is rent or a fee of
> some kind; it might be used for a payment on a dept or loan.  However... using it to refer to a woman
> probably sends the wrong message!  <g>

Very true! While {qav'ap wellu'bogh ghaH} would translate the Georgian well, the meaning would definitely be misunderstood here.

Actually, now you've got me wondering if "debt" might be a useful gloss for {qav'ap} more generally.

taH:
> And while we're talking about vocabulary relating to debts, we also have {voHDajbo'} "ransom, mortgage":

Ooo, that I hadn't thought of. {voHDajbo''a' wellu'bogh qotlh} "she would deserve a great ransom owed"?

QeS