[Tlhingan-hol] Sunlight and Starlight

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Wed Aug 21 13:30:43 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu>wrote:

>      "And though I had slain a thousand foes less one,
>       The thousandth knife found my liver;
>       The thousandth enemy said to me,
>       'Now you shall die,
>       Now none shall know.'
>       And the fool, looking down, believed this,
>       Not seeing, above his shoulders, the naked stars,
>       Each one remembering."
>
> Someone - I don't remember who (anyone?) - elegantly translated "the naked
> stars" as *{Hovmey Huv} using the otherwise unattested verb {Huv} "be
> clear, not obstructed".
>
> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

We use that form in a Klingon Christmas Carol in a couple of places:

ramvam Hovmey Huv bIngDaq bommey Dun DIbom

ta'meylIj legh Hovmey Huv 'ej Hob!

I first used the phrase when I translated the poem on a message board back
in March 2009 (although I have no idea if anyone else used it before me):

'ej tlhoS wa'SaD loDpu' vIHoHpu',
'ach chejwIj Sam jagh wa'SaDDIch taj,
mujatlh jagh wa'SaDDIch:
<DaH bIHegh, DaH DuSov pagh>,
'ej yav leghmo' mu'meyDaj Har qoH.
'ach ghaH DungDaq reH qawchu'taH Hovmey Huv 'e' leghbe'.

qurgh