[Tlhingan-hol] Dothraki nugh vIghal

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Wed Apr 10 20:19:32 PDT 2013

On 4/10/2013 6:05 PM, Lieven wrote:

> ja' SuStel:
>  > It's not half-official or quasi-official or even a little bit official.
>> Most of the world has no idea that the KLI exists, even if they know
>> that Klingon exists.
>>
>>> Everyone accepts translations by the KLI,
>>
>> Everyone? Really? How have you determined that?
>
> Okay, you are right that the KLI is just a PO-Box owned by some unknown
> star trek fan and author who has a special permission to use the word
> Klingon without being sewed.

Lawrence isn't unknown; he's well-known as that Klingon Guy. But being
well known doesn't grant you officiating power over an artificial
language created by someone else.

> But don't you have the little feeling that the KLI does have at least a
> little "sense" or "touch" of some kind of officialness?

No.

> wikipedia is listing KLI as the regulator of Klingon. I should cross
> that line immediately, since that's not right.

"This article needs additional citations for verification." Anyway,
where does that article say the KLI regulates Klingon?

Basically, your argument comes down to, "Yeah, but, well, you know..."

> Talking about translations. Apparently not everyone accepts translations
> by the KLI, but it does make them look better when they are translated
> by it. Why? Because the KLI is the only "club" who knows Klingon?

Peter Jackson looks better for getting David Salo to translate Elvish
for his films... because he's a well-known translator. Not the only
translator, and not an "authorized" translator.

> being the only worldwide club/community/institute that is somehow
> related to klingon, no matter what you call it - official or not official.

I call it "not official," and that means something different than
"official." It does matter.

So what happens if I created a new organization for studying and
translating Klingon? If the KLI is no longer the only organization (an
assertion I haven't seen any reason to accept) dealing with the
language, does it lose its privileged Klingon-regulator status? And if
not, what is the basis for that privilege, if not uniqueness?

Why should an organization whose stated purpose is to *study* and
*promote* the Klingon language want to *regulate* it?

> Nobody has ever said that there must be only one qep'a', right?   :- P

Certainly not! The KLI does not own a trademark on the word.

http://www.trimboli.name/