[Tlhingan-hol] Dothraki nugh vIghal

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Apr 10 15:05:10 PDT 2013

ja' SuStel:
 > It's not half-official or quasi-official or even a little bit official.
> Most of the world has no idea that the KLI exists, even if they know
> that Klingon exists.
>
>> Everyone accepts translations by the KLI,
>
> Everyone? Really? How have you determined that?

Okay, you are right that the KLI is just a PO-Box owned by some unknown
star trek fan and author who has a special permission to use the word
Klingon without being sewed.

But don't you have the little feeling that the KLI does have at least a
little "sense" or "touch" of some kind of officialness? wikipedia is
listing KLI as the regulator of Klingon. I should cross that line
immediately, since that's not right.

Talking about translations. Apparently not everyone accepts translations
by the KLI, but it does make them look better when they are translated
by it. Why? Because the KLI is the only "club" who knows Klingon?

paq'batlh was translated by Okrand, but revised by the KLI. The Klingon
Bird of Prey book: revised by the KLI. Klingon Monopoly: translated by
the KLI. The latest voice-playing book: translated by the KLI and even
spoken by it's director.
I know only one thing not checked by the KLI, and although containing
many new words from Okrand, the pronunciation of the words is very close
to Morskan dialect. Too bad they didn't ask the KLI, in my opinion.

being the only worldwide club/community/institute that is somehow
related to klingon, no matter what you call it - official or not official.

>> they have contracts with Paramount/CBS etc.
> I wonder if that's still true.

Lawrene told me that even after the change from Paramount to CBS etc.
the contracts have been adapted.

> Regardless, being licensed to use the
> trademark "Klingon" hardly counts as any kind of endorsement by
> Paramount for an official governing body for the language.

That is true, again. Paramount didn't say, "klingon is yours make what
you want."
But I think that while apparently the largest community of klingon is on
the same time part of the KLI - or this mailing list - I believe that
the language one day might just move along by itself, and if "our"
community will accept that something inside the KLI will be able to
create new words, then "we" (i.e. those same people) will accept these
new words. We already do, by accepting jokes on Helal or what that is
called at the qep'a'.

>> some guy", then we can go ahead and establish KLI's around the world and
>> play institute for ourselves.
>
> Why yes, we can. What's wrong with that?

Just that I feel like there must be *the* KLI, and not many KLI's. It
would break up the international feeling and I think that while we are
so few speakers that we should stay together.

By the way, I have a website named http://klingonisch-institut.de, but
it just leads to the KLI. Of course I could also set up my own KLI - but
that would be misleading for any new learner. A friend of mine has the
website http://www.qepa.de - Nobody has ever said that there must be
only one qep'a', right?   :- P

I'll now first go to wikipedia and correct the regulator of the Klingon
language.

Good night.

--
Lieven L. Litaer