[Tlhingan-hol] Dothraki nugh vIghal

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Tue Apr 9 14:54:50 PDT 2013

On 4/9/2013 4:59 PM, Lieven wrote:

> Am 09.04.2013 22:38, schrieb David Trimboli:
>> Nope. Not a body intended or authorized to govern Klingon. Its purpose
>> is to *study* Klingon. [...]
>> "official" doesn't apply. It's not an official anything with regard to
>> Klingon.
>
> Okay, that's correct, but it is the "most possible (half) official"
> thing that exists.

It's not half-official or quasi-official or even a little bit official.

> To the entire world, the Klingon language is related to the KLI.

Most of the world has no idea that the KLI exists, even if they know
that Klingon exists.

> Everyone accepts translations by the KLI,

Everyone? Really? How have you determined that?

> they have contracts with Paramount/CBS etc.

I wonder if that's still true. Regardless, being licensed to use the
trademark "Klingon" hardly counts as any kind of endorsement by
Paramount for an official governing body for the language.

> If we start to consider it just "a club set up by
> some guy", then we can go ahead and establish KLI's around the world and
> play institute for ourselves.

Why yes, we can. What's wrong with that?

If David Salo claimed that he was the official king of Tolkien's Elvish
languages, because hey, everyone knows I do Elvish translations, and I
translated for the New Line Cinema films, so you have to accept me as
the supreme law of Elvish language, would that make any sense?

And how different is it if a dozen people on a semi-private mailing list
proclaim that henceforth official Klingon shall be what they say it is,
because, golly gee, that list is kinda-sorta run by the KLI?

And if some of the people who *didn't* proclaim their governance dare to
question the right of those dozen to tell them what's official, don't
they have a point?

http://www.trimboli.name/