[Tlhingan-hol] Dothraki nugh vIghal

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Tue Apr 9 13:38:44 PDT 2013

On 4/9/2013 4:21 PM, Lieven wrote:

> Am 08.04.2013 22:55, schrieb David Trimboli:
>> There is no International Committee on the Klingon Language,
>
> Ehm... What about the Klingon Language Institute?

Nope. Not a body intended or authorized to govern Klingon. Its purpose
is to *study* Klingon.

>> and I for one would not recognize any such committee's authority to tell
>> me what is and is not Klingon.
>
> That's a different point.
>
> The goal of the KLI is to promote the language, but not to create new
> words. But I'm sure, if there were some kind of committee, it would be
> inside the core of the KLI and in cooperation with Okrand, we could find
> a way to officially set up some kind of new source for Klingon words.

No, it's the same point. The KLI is just an organization that some guy
started as a fan response to The Klingon Dictionary. Sure, I sell it
short that way—it has always been more scholarly than just a bunch of
Trekkies getting together—and it's been very successful, but the word
"official" doesn't apply. It's not an official anything with regard to
Klingon.

> Another reason for the language being "stuck" as someone mentioned is
> the reason of the licensing. Nobody is allowed to publish anything about
> klingon without a licence. That's why there is so few about it.

To create an "unstuck" Klingon, what I called a "Living Klingon," you
need a language-using community, not talk *about* the language.

http://www.trimboli.name/