[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HoQ

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 18 08:37:35 PDT 2012

ghItlhpu' Voragh, jatlh:
> QeS, thanks for responding so quickly.

qay'be'qu'. Hey, I was still up, and happened to have the paq'batlh on the desk beside me.

taH:
> Notice the new form {mIlHa’} “restore honor”.

Not quite. "Restore honour (to)" would be mIlHa'moH; mIlHa' is perhaps better glossed as "come back to honour, regain one's honour".

> I like the contrast of Type   (aspect) suffixes:  {yIntaHwI’pu’} the living (“those who continue to live”)
> vs. {Heghpu’wI’pu’} the dead (“those who have died”).

jIH je - I know it's good Klingon by definition, but this whole verse is so finely nuanced. I also liked the contrast drawn by using two overt pronouns for emphasis. *I on the one hand* will X, *you on the other hand* will Y. It's almost like the men... de contrast in Greek, just done with a different, but just as effective, tool.

QeS