[Tlhingan-hol] ramDaq jIQongbe’

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 30 09:00:06 PDT 2012

quljIb:
>> {ramDaq jIQongbe’  jItlhuHlaHtaHchugh. SuS jo’meH
>> vIlo’ jIQongtaHvIS.  bIq vInobnIS 'ej Hoch jajmey
>> vIpuchnIS Qapbogh.}

ghunchu'wI':
> "I do not sleep at the nighttime if I am being able to
> breathe. I use a wind machinery-bridge [?] while I am
> sleeping. I must give it a [water??] and all days I must
> [toilet?] it, that succeeds."
>
> What did you mean?

quljIb:
>> "I cannot sleep at nighttime if I am *not* able to
>> breathe.  I use wind machinery (the CPAP machine)
>> while I am sleeping.  I must give it water and wash
>> [the mask] every day for it to work properly."

How about *{tlhuHmeH jo'} "breathing machinery"?  Actually, *{tlhuHmeH jan(Hom)} "breathing device" might be better.  {jo'} "machinery" is used for fairly large machinery on the BOP poster:

  jopwI' jo' 		recoil machinery
  tal jo' 		cannon machinery
  tel SeHwI' jo' 	wing control mechanism

Instead of {bIq vInobnIS} "I must give (it) water", how about {janDaq bIQ vIqangnIS} "I must pour water into the device".  Some liquid-related vocabulary:

qang   pour (from one container into another), pour into (v)
lIch   pour (into/onto anything) (v)
teb 	  fill (v)
buy'   be full, filled up (v)

As ghunchu'wI' remarked {puch} "toilet" is a noun, but we have the  verb {Say'moH} "wash" or {lamHa'choHmoH} "get something cleaned".

Putting it altogether:

  Qapchu'meH Hoch jaj janDaq bIQ vIqangnIS 'ej vISay'moHnIS.
  For it to function properly, I must pour water into the
   device and clean it every day.

"Mask" is a problem.  We have {mIn QanwI' nguv} "sunglasses"  (lit. "tinted eye protector") from TalkNow!  So something like *{qab/ghIch QanwI'} "face/nose protector"?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons