[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: waQ

Gaerfindel gaerfindel at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 25 12:19:41 PDT 2012

voragh jatlhpu':
> For comparison we have the similar verb {bot} "prevent, block" which has been used:
>
>    Dubotchugh yIpummoH
>    If it's in your way, knock it down. TKW
>
>    HuDqIjDaq qet ghIq Hechaj bot QIStaq
>    Running Over the Black Hills Until Kri'stak blocks their path. (PB)
>
>    qarDaSQa'Daq ruDelya' rop'a' Hergh qengbogh yo' Dabot.
>    Intercept Rudellian plague relief convoy to Cardassian Union. MKE
>
>    lojmItDaj veghta'DI' jubbe'wI' yInqa'meH chegh 'e' botnIS
>     qotar qeylIS HoHmeH qotar qeylIS SamnIS
>    Still, Kotar cannot let a mortal Pass his gates and return
>     alive, Kahless must be hunted down and killed. (PB)
>
>    yab matlh muvchuqghach Sorgh vay' 'e' vIbotjaj.
>    Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments.
>    (Sonnet 116)
>
> This raises the question:  What's the difference between {waQ} "obstruct" and {bot} "prevent, block, etc."?

jIjatlhpu':

...{waQ} is used when there is an inanimate obstruction {lojmIt waQ Sor
HoHpu'}, while {bot} is used when there is an animate object *actively*
involved {lojmIt bot mIl'oD}.

DaH jIjatlh:
The canon seems to support the idea that {bot} means an active
impediment.  Especially the first three examples.

~quljIb