[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: waQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 25 13:07:25 PDT 2012

jatlhpu' Voragh:

For comparison we have the similar verb {bot} "prevent, block" which has been used:

  Dubotchugh yIpummoH
  If it's in your way, knock it down. TKW

  HuDqIjDaq qet ghIq Hechaj bot QIStaq
  Running Over the Black Hills Until Kri'stak blocks their path. (PB)

  qarDaSQa'Daq ruDelya' rop'a' Hergh qengbogh yo' Dabot.
  Intercept Rudellian plague relief convoy to Cardassian Union. MKE

  lojmItDaj veghta'DI' jubbe'wI' yInqa'meH chegh 'e' botnIS
   qotar qeylIS HoHmeH qotar qeylIS SamnIS
  Still, Kotar cannot let a mortal Pass his gates and return
   alive, Kahless must be hunted down and killed. (PB)

  yab matlh muvchuqghach Sorgh vay' 'e' vIbotjaj.
  Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments.
  (Sonnet 116)

This raises the question:  What's the difference between {waQ} "obstruct" and {bot} "prevent, block, etc."?

jatlhpu' quljIb:

...{waQ} is used when there is an inanimate obstruction {lojmIt waQ Sor HoHpu'}, while {bot} is used when there is an animate object *actively* involved {lojmIt bot mIl'oD}.

The canon seems to support the idea that {bot} means an active impediment.  Especially the first three examples.

I should have said:  What's the difference between {waQ} and {bot} *in Klingon usage*.  As we have no examples of the former, this cannot be answered at the present time.  Interestingly, the word {le'mIS} "blockade" used in Klingon Monopoly is unrelated to either word:

  DIvI' le'mISvo' bInargh.
  Escape Federation blockade. MKE

(Hmm... I sense another pun.  Something from "Les Mis" perhaps?)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons