[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Doq 'ej wovbe'

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Mon Oct 15 08:24:40 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh <qunchuy at alcaco.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM, qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:
>> I guess I should just prevent the Word
>> of the Day from using these phrases as it confuses the advanced
>> speakers too much.
>
> If you're not willing to label such phrases properly, I believe you
> should indeed skip them. Not because it's confusing to advanced
> speakers, or because it doesn't tell the beginners enough, but
> basically because the way you're presenting them now is just plain
> wrong.

Again, this entry is simply there so if someone types in "brown" they
get something (people complained about NOT having it in there, so I
added it. I still have the email somewhere that an advanced speaker
sent to me asking for me to put it in). I will prevent the Word of the
Day from accessing these types of entries. The type "phrase" is used
in my database software to represent a "complete canon phrase that has
a defined English meaning and is published as being a standalone
sentence, as those phrases in The Klingon Way are". If I changed this
to "phrase" it would make it useless.

> Since we've gotten onto the "complain about a generally useful
> volunteer-provided resource because it isn't perfect" track, I want to
> repeat my suggestion that these messages ought to include the source
> of the word. That should just be a change to the "form letter" and not
> a modification of the actual program, right?

Yes, it's easy to add to the form, but I do not have source data for
all entries, which is why isn't not included. My goal when creating my
database was to just get the words in there and source was not really
relevant as it's not used when doing Klingon->English parsing of
words. If someone has a complete source for all the words, I will
happily merge that into my database and include the information.

qurgh