[Tlhingan-hol] Trains

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 00:25:46 PST 2012

On 23 Nov 2012 03:19, "Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh" <qeslagh<qeslagh at hotmail.com>
@ <qeslagh at hotmail.com>hotmail.com <qeslagh at hotmail.com>> wrote:

> ghItlhpu' Felix, jatlh:
>
> > Aye, I'm aware of the rule; it's just not something I'd take for
granted works in a relative phrase.

> Ah, fair enough. I didn't think about that. I guess I gloss over it for
two reasons: we know (IIRC) that if there is an {-'e'}-marked noun in a
relative clause, it's the head; and (b) relative sentences aren't otherwise
all that distinct from ordinary Klingon sentences. There's no morphological
sign other than a little {-bogh} suffix that the sentence is anything
special, so if a rule applies to main clauses, I tend to just apply it to
subordinate clauses as well unless we've been told otherwise.

We didn't have (m)any examples of relative clauses with adverbials before
did we?

Now we have a clearer understanding of the following kinds of sentences.

{nom lengbogh DujlIj qIp loQ jejHa'bogh 'etlhDaj}
His slightly dull sword hit your fast-moving ship.
His slightly dull sword quickly hit your moving ship.

{lengbogh DujlIj'e' nom qIp loQ jejHa'bogh 'etlhDaj}
His slightly dull sword quickly hit your moving ship.

{pay' nom lengbogh DujlIj qIp loQ jejHa'bogh 'etlhDaj}
{nom lengbogh DujlIj'e' pay' qIp loQ jejHa'bogh 'etlhDaj}
His slightly dull sword suddenly hit your fast-moving ship.

{nom pay' lengbogh DujlIj qIp loQ jejHa'bogh 'etlhDaj}
{pay' lengbogh DujlIj'e' nom qIp loQ jejHa'bogh 'etlhDaj}
His slightly dull sword quickly hit your suddenly-moving ship.

etc.