[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bIng

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Thu May 31 08:59:30 PDT 2012

On 5/31/2012 10:45 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:

>> Klingon word:   bIng
 >> Part of speech: noun
 >> Definition:     area below, area under
>
> Related nouns:
>
> Dung 	area above, area overhead (ant.)

This is one of the grammatical jokes of the language. Human languages
tend to associate high-pitched sounds with "up" and low-pitched sounds
with "down" (even the terms "high-pitched" and "low-pitched" do this).
In Klingon the sense is reversed, with a high-pitched sound referring to
"down" and a low-pitched sound referring to "up." I have no doubt this
was done intentionally.

http://www.trimboli.name/