[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bIng

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu May 31 07:45:23 PDT 2012

> Klingon word:   bIng
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition:     area below, area under

Used in a sentence:

cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck under the Cargo Deck (KBoP)

yIntaH qIrq 'e' vIneH.  DaSwIj bIngDaq latlhpu' vItap.
Kirk I want alive. The rest I will grind beneath my boot. (STConst p.232)

Language notes:

KGT 24-25:  Another interesting grammatical difference is found in the way prepositional concepts (above, below, and so on) are expressed in the speech typical of the Sakrej ({Sa'Qej}) region. In Klingon in general, such ideas are conveyed by using a special set of nouns ({'em} [area behind], {bIng} [area below], and others) that follow the nouns whose position they are indicating. Thus, behind the door is {lojmIt 'em} (literally, 'door area behind') and below the table is {raS bIng} (literally, 'table area below'). A pronoun may be used instead of a noun: {jIH 'em} (behind me--literally, 'I area behind'), {chaH bIng} (below them--literally, 'they area below). In the Sakrej region, however, possessive suffixes are used in place of the independent pronouns: {'emwIj} (behind me--literally, 'my area behind'), {bIngchaj} (below them--literally, 'their area below'). Using the possessive suffix construction when speaking {ta' Hol} will not lead to misunderstandings, but it will associate the speaker with the residents of Sakrej, which, depending on the political situation, may or may not be beneficial.

Related nouns:

Dung 	area above, area overhead (ant.)
wutlh 	underground

--