[Tlhingan-hol] Klingan with IPA

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Wed May 30 15:44:55 PDT 2012

Hi Lieven,
I don't think it's off-topic at all, and others might be interested too.
It's not too difficult to write either. I'll give an extra explanation for
the characters in case it doesn't come through...

So {Duy} would be simply written as [ɖuj] in IPA, that's a retroflex d
(looks like a "d" with a little hook at the bottom), followed by a normal
looking "u" and a normal-looking "j". No difficulties here, if you can
locate that "d" with the little hook.
The word {Duy'} has an extra glottal stop to the end, so it's [ɖujʔ]. You
can find the glottal stop character in the character map. It should look
like similar to a questionmark without the dot. Combinations like [-wʔ] and
[-jʔ] are infrequent in the typical European languages but actually occur
in other languages in Asia, North America and if I'm not mistaken also in
Arabic.

Greetings from Leipzig,
- André