[Tlhingan-hol] Klingan with IPA

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed May 30 16:25:08 PDT 2012

I am used to transcribing Cornish, where we write [aɪ] and [iʊ] and [oɪ] and [uɪ] (as in the recently-published Desky Kernowek, http://www.evertype.com/books/desky.html). For me [j] and [w] are a consonants. If you have vowels in hiatus as well as diphthongs with semivowels, you might need to distinguish them in transcription, but not otherwise. It depends on the structure of the language.