[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' wa' vatlh chorghmaH cha': rewbe' Qu'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue May 22 13:38:49 PDT 2012

> >> 'Iw HIq ngaSwI' poSmoH 'eSSIm 'ej tlhutlhchoH.
>>
>> qatlh ngaSwI'vaD bal Dapongbe'?
>
> I thought a bal was more of a jug. It's a bottle, too?

{bal}  "jug, jar, bottle" (KGT):

KGT 98f.:  A {bal} is any bottle or jug used to store liquid. Usually one will pour ({qang}) the drink directly from the {bal} into the {HIvje'}, but it is not considered uncivil to drink directly from the {bal}. Ale [{wornagh}] is often stored in a large vat ({qegh}) rather than in a {bal}.

KGT 97:  a cook's ever-present supply of {chanDoq} (marinade) is kept in a large {bal}

The pre-KGT word *{ngaSwI'} "container" was used for bottle in the KCD novelization (p. 85f.):

    The bartender nodded and before a moment passed he had returned
  with three bottles. He sat them on the bar and pointed at each in
  turn. "{ngaSwI' wej. HIvje'mey.}"

although {bIQ bal} "water jug" also appears in KCD itself.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons