[Tlhingan-hol] jupna'

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri May 4 13:39:47 PDT 2012

Qov:
> jungwoqDaq qaS'a' Hoch lutmeylIj?

ghobe'. nIponDaq qaSba' {samurai} qelbogh lutmey'e'.

Qov:
> DaH Ha'DIbaH qu' chu' wa'DIch 'ej jup HoH 'e' vIpIH ...

wej tojbogh pa' 'oghlu'pu'.

De'vID:
>> Since that time the cutting of
>> harp strings has always been a sign of intimate friendship.

Qov:
> Your Klingon says: {jupna' Degh 'oH HurDagh SIrgh lupe'lu'chu'bogh'e'}
but the English is closer to {HurDagh SIrgh pe'lI'ghach}. Which is the
Chinese?

The English is closer to the original.

I'd originally been considering sending this story one or two sentences at
a time.  I wanted each line to be simple to understand, even to a
beginner.  So instead of "cutting of harp strings" being a symbol of
"friendship", I reworded it to "cut harp strings" being a symbol of a "true
friend".

I don't know how to say "friendship" and I wanted to avoid {-ghach}.