[Tlhingan-hol] wa'maH cha' jatlhwI'pu' po'qu' chaH 'Iv'e'?

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sat Mar 24 20:10:31 PDT 2012

The term "fluent" doesn't really seem to mean anything. I would
consider myself fluent in a language if I could say anything I had to
express without ever having to pause to look for the way to formulate
the sentence and could completely understand well-formatted sentences
spoken at a normal to rapid rate. I haven't ever considered myself
fluent in Klingon, and I don't remember ever speaking with anyone
that met that target.

I don't know where I got that definition, and it doesn't bother me
that not everyone uses it. Lawrence used to not speak Klingon nearly
as well as he does now, and he probably looked around the room at
qep'a'mey and identified the group of people who could hold a
conversation about pretty much anything and comfortably live for a
day or so entirely in Klingon, with the major impediment being trying
to communicate with people who hadn't reached that level. I can
imagine there were about twelve of us in 1996 -- 1996? That was
wejDIch!  Most of us certainly got a lot better than we were then,
and then some of us have declined again. His list probably would have
included: Qanqor, Seqram, charghwI', ghunchu'wI', Holtej, me,
nIchyon, yoDtargh, DrujIv (the last two I've never met)  and ... I
think taD, SuStel, pagh je weren't there in 1996 yet. Who
else?  There was a  young, shy, guy whose name I have forgotten but
who advised me of my ability, "not yIyon," and the advice stuck fast.
And now there are lots of new speakers, many DoyIchlan[n]ganpu'
vIqIHbe'bu'bogh, 'ISqu', latlhpu' law' vIlijpu'bogh je. qanoppu'chugh
qatIch vIneHbe'. 1996 vIqelqu'.

You will meet many people who say they know someone who is fluent in
Klingon, and most of the time they will turn out to speak hardly a
word. If you meet someone you've never heard of who supposedly speaks
Klingon and they can put together a single original sentence, you're
doing well. I wish I had the resources to track down every
independent Klingon speaker and haul them all to qep'a'.

Delton is pretty active on the net with costuming group, and he's at
least first hand claiming his fluency. He might be on here, even.  I
found him on Facebook, so if he accepts my friend request I'll set up
a video chat or something.

There must be over a hundred people who can produce competent Klingon
text and read others' work, upping that to hundreds to thousands if
they are allowed reference material, and depending on how much time
you give them.  Spoken Klingon though ... pretty rare.

I just want to speak Klingon as well as I possibly can and increase
the cicles so there are as many as possible really good speakers, but
also as many as possible people who know a tiny bit, even if their
friends declare them fluent and confuse the issue.

- Qov