[Tlhingan-hol] wa'maH cha' jatlhwI'pu' po'qu' chaH 'Iv'e'?

qurgh qurgh at wizage.net
Sun Mar 25 08:49:24 PDT 2012

On Mar 24, 2012, at 11:10 PM, Robyn Stewart <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:

> Delton is pretty active on the net with costuming group, and he's at least first hand claiming his fluency. He might be on here, even.  I found him on Facebook, so if he accepts my friend request I'll set up a video chat or something.

I've tried to engage him in Kingon conversations on the KAG mailing list before without much luck. I've met many people in Klingon fandom who claim fluency, but can't understand a word I say or even form proper sentences. This seems to be a commonplace occurrence. I think it happens because they know more than anybody else on their ships, or local group, and their friends tell them they are fluent (like how my co-workers like to introduce me as "the guy who is fluent in Klingon" to the new employees, even though I'm no where near fluent). They don't realize they aren't until they meet someone who far exceeds they skills.

I'm in the same situation as lojmIt. The only way I can see for improving my Klingon at this point is to find someone who could dedicate several hours a week to just sitting around and practicing speaking and listening. So if there is anyone in the Northern Kentucky area who wants to try this, hit me up off list.

qurgh