[Tlhingan-hol] New Canon - King John Shakespeare

lojmIt tI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 13:16:37 PDT 2012

There have been a lot of confident pronouncements about how to interpret when you should use {bID} before or after a noun without much in the way of explanation citing any kind of canon or rule from Okrand.

We know that of whole numbers {cha' paH} would be "two gowns", while {paH cha'} would be "gown #2" (another way of saying "the second gown"). So, might {bID paH} refer to half of a gown while {paH bID} might refer to the gown's half? (As in gown #0.5)

That second one would be far-fetched, perhaps, but it would be more meaningful with plurals:

bID paHmey - Half of the gowns

paHmey bID - The half-gowns

I don't feel very solid here, and I don't quite understand why others seem to be more confident. I'm suspecting that Okrand is just sloppy in how he's used {bID} and he hasn't explained what it's supposed to mean, perhaps because he hasn't decided what it is supposed to mean.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv