[Tlhingan-hol] mu' mung

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 15 06:27:34 PDT 2012

De'vID:
>> {nan} martial arts kick (noun or verb?) [HQ 10.2]

Felix:
> Very hard to say. The wording is simply that it's "used to refer" to
> this kick.

>From context, I'd say it's a specialized use of the verb {nan} "use the fourth toe":

HQ 10.2:11:  The verbs {nan} "use the fourth toe" and "nan" "gouge" are probably etymologically related, since {nan} is used to refer to a particularly effective martial arts kick.

>> {wab} n. sound, noise
>
> http://klingonska.org/canon/1999-02-02-email.txt

  'arlogh wab Qoylu'pu'?
  How many times has someone heard the sound?
  How many times has the sound been heard? (st.k 2/99)

  wab qoSta' 'aplo'
  cassette (i.e. audiotape, audiocassette) (TalkNow!)

>> {yIr} v. gather
>
> paq'batlh, p. 181
> nuHmeyDaj may'luchDaj nIv je yIr qeylIS - Kahless gathered his weapons
> and his finest suit of armor.

It was also used in the opera {'u'}.  ghunchu'wI' reported on 8/21/2011:

    nuHmey yIrmeH SuvwI', bIH tay'moH. wa' pa'vo' Daqtagh
  qeng 'ej raSDaq roQ. latlh pa'vo' ma'veq qeng 'ej raSDaq
  rap roQ. Daqmey Sarvo' luch woH. raSDaq yoD roQ. raSDaq
  mIv roQ. DaH raSDaq nuHmey luch je yIrta' SuvwI'. <boS>
  rur, 'ach Dochmey ghajtaHmo' yIrwI' bIH SuqnISbe'. <lIq>
  rur, 'ach yInnISbe' Dochmey tay'moHbogh yIrwI'.
    [...]
    This was used in a command for a warrior to gather his
  armor and weapons before a battle. Before seeing this word,
  I might have used {boS} "collect" to refer to packing for
  a trip. Now, {yIr} seems a better choice.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons